Pennie Prewett – Gluten-Free Chocolate Orange & Walnut Slab Recipe
Pennie Prewett here with a simple recipe for you to make this weekend!
I really love this recipe, it’s so indulgent that even a small amount can satisfy the sweetest tooth. It’s really simple to make too with ingredients available in any major supermarket.
When I’m baking I don’t tend to use expensive chocolate, Most of the retailers sell value chocolate at around 30p which is decent quality and in this recipe the butter and cream make up for anything lacking in the chocolate anyway. Saying that, using a higher quality chocolate will only make this more indulgent.
The Orange Oil was bought from Morrison’s, they have a really nice range of Signature flavours which are really high quality and go a long way.
Gluten Free Chocolate Orange & Walnut Slab
- 1 packet of Prewett’s Gluten Free Digestives (150g)
- 25g Chopped Walnuts
- The zest of 1 Orange
- 10g of Cocoa Powder
- 100g Salted Butter
- 400g Dark chocolate
- 50g Double Cream
- 2 drops of Orange Oil
- Line a small baking tray with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl break the Digestives into quarters (doesn’t matter if some are bigger or smaller) add the Chopped Walnuts, Cocoa Powder and Orange Zest.
- Put this to one side.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a low heat making sure it doesn’t burn. While the butter is melting break up the chocolate into small pieces, this way it will melt quicker and prevent the chocolate in the pan burning.
- Once the butter has melted take the pan from the heat and add the broken chocolate stirring continuously.
- If the chocolate is not melting, put the pan back on the hob on a very low heat for a couple of seconds no more, stir until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Add 50g of Double Cream to the chocolate mixture, put this back on a low heat stirring again continuously until the mix appears thick and glossy.
- Add the chocolate mix quickly to the biscuits and stir until combined.
- Spread this out onto the baking tray and place in the fridge for a couple of hours or until the chocolate is set.
- Make a cup of tea, sit back and enjoy…
P.S. Remember to post your photos of this recipe on our Facebook page or tag us on Instagram @prewettsglutenfree. And make sure to keep an eye out for future delicious recipes.